- Firstly of course we have to get the package installed by running 'zypper -n in puppet-server'.
- Okay! Everything is done now let's start her up. Usually you will get an error like this "Starting puppetmaster services.Manifest does not exist: /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp" and after spitting this error at you the service will fail to get going.
- Okay, following the principle above, let's feed it what it needs by doing 'mkdir /etc/puppet/manifests; touch /etc/puppet/manifests/site.pp'. This will create the manifests directory and put in a temporary site.pp for it to chew on. Let's try again.
- Okay better now, the service started up, after a while though something else cropped up "Could not find user puppet"
- Let's add the puppet user .. "useradd -m puppet" and see if it helps. Ah yes! No more errors!
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Blow by Blow to get puppet master working on Opensuse
Okay, let's be honest here. I really loath reading documentation. Once an app presents itself qualifying itself by saying I have to read a handbook first before using it, then I go looking for another app. So here I am going to record blow by blow (usually by trial and error with a method I coin "giving it everything it needs until it works") of getting puppetmasterd working on opensuse 11.2